10 Jun Should you DIY your WordPress Website?
Should you DIY your WordPress Website?
Mint Design Agency provides services for web design, but this is not to say we don’t encourage adventurous clients to give it a go themselves. This is because our goal is not to sell you a service, but instead to help your business succeed. Building a website can be time-consuming and costly for someone without experience. However, this can also turn out to be an incredibly rewarding experience if you find passion in doing it yourself!
- Are the rumors of WordPress being completely free true?! Here’s our answer: “depends on who you ask.” If you’re a developer, you’ll most likely be able to develop a fully customizable and responsive site on your own. If you don’t understand code, you may instead need to pay thousands of dollars buying themes, addons, plugins, packages..etc… to finally create your dream site.
- There are hundreds of thousands of paid/premium plugins, addons, themes, packages…etc.. on WordPress for you to choose from. You may have to pay for a few and test them out before you find one that suits your needs, but when you do there is no better feeling!
- There are thousands of themes to choose from on WordPress, but only around 10% of them are free. If you’re willing to take the risk, you can choose a theme yourself and build your site from the template. You may spend 100s of hours messing with code, but seeing your website come to life is totally worth it!
- WordPress provides basic SEO services that can increase site traffic by optimizing your search engine. Of course, Mint Design Agency also provides high quality SEO services from our digital marketing department. This can help push your website to the next level!
- Don’t expect to customize your website past the built in options that they supply for you. There is no coding for customization at all, and If you change your mind halfway through your design process you’re out of luck! There’s no changing themes without starting all over.
- If you have no experience building websites, WordPress is probably not the platform for you. There is a huge learning curve and you may find yourself frustrated and overwhelmed. However, if you are looking for a fully customizable and highly functional site, this is the platform you need.
- Developing a customizable and responsive website requires a huge learning curve. You may end up spending 20 hours searching on google how to slightly move a word to the left of your screen. When you do figure it out, you’ll feel proud of yourself only to find out that your code affected 5 other pages, and now those pages need to be adjusted too. Here goes another 20!
- Your website will look awesome, and once you pick your hosting option you’ll feel ecstatic, accomplished, and proud to see your blood, sweat, and tears come to life. This is amazing, but we recommend you to take a picture while it lasts! A few days later, you may find your face buried in your palms contemplating why you chose GoDaddy after your entire site goes rogue. This is why Mint Design Agency provides quality hosting and security services that keep your site in tip top condition.
The platforms are definitely different in many ways and you’re sure to find one that fits your needs. Check out the comparison chart below to help you make an informed decision!